20150319

Berlin Memorial Reflection

Berlin Memorial Reflection

1- What did you learn?
Today I have learned the extent in which the Nazi party truly went to attack Jews. I have been able to see the evil in humans goes beyond that of concentration camps and ghettos. The evil at the time began in the idea that dehumanization was the correct thing to do. The thought in which the "best possible thing to do" was to take away their daily rights of humans such as being a part of a community. Jewish people were no longer allowed to do things such as go to the movies or join certain clubs due to their heritage. I have learned that what was then at the time, the decrees, was done in a methodical manner so that the change was gradual and unnoticed.

2- Why do you think this monument was built?
This monument allows us to remember these mistakes as we declared such laws. The Berlin Memorial monument is the best reminder of our past mistakes as we continue to move forward with improvement but never forget our previous failures as human beings. As it is with other monuments it also allows to commemorate those who have been wronged and those who have been hurt.

3- What did you notice about the number of laws passed in certain years?
Throughout the activity I noticed large between the time in which laws were decreed. For example, in the year 1933, a large amount of laws against Jews were placed. Along with this, several of the first laws decreed prohibited several luxuries, not necessarily things that were needed in order to survive. For some time, between 1933-1938, some laws were decreed but not many. It was yet again in the year 1938 were several laws were decreed in order to take away all basic human necessities from Jewish people.

4- Which restrictions do you think you would have the most trouble dealing with and why?
I feel that the restriction that I would have the most trouble dealing with would be the expelling of all Jewish children from public schools. Despite the fact that schooling is not a necessity for survival, personally, I feel that education has always taken a large role in my life. I feel that without my education several of the things that have made me, "me," would not be the same. It is also one of the things in which you do not realize the true valued of until it is taken away.





No comments:

Post a Comment