20150122

The Boy On The Wooden Box: Week of 1/19

Prompt: Write a letter to the main character
Pages: 0-80
(Niklaus is not a real character, The Boy On The Wooden Box is a memoir on the life of Leon Leyson during the late 1930's  and early 40' s.)


Dear Leon, 


    It has been a long time since I have heard of you friend! When will you return to the village of Narewka? Things have been far from the same since your departure to Kraków. Things do seem to be all the much more boring. How long has it been? I last saw you when we were eight, and it has been four year! Who would ever imagine this, the schelmisch boys of the village separated?


    In the four years, little seems to be the same. Leon, I do not know if you understand, but the world we live in is much different from what it was originally.  Previously, they did not care for our hair color, our eye color, our religion, but now it seems all that matters anymore. I have learned a lot recently, I have finally been able to understand why you're cousin Yossel was not allowed to change his name to Józef. I understand why my family would disapprove that I, Niklaus Friedrich, send you mail.

    Narewka has recently had a surge of German polizei who never seem stop bothering us. They tell us that we must forget our Jewish friends because they are not what we thought them to be. They tell us scary stories about what you are, but that's not what I remember you to be! These men are very different to what I am accustomed to, they are harsh, loud, and violent. All of our neighbors have left town, we are told, because they couldn't last anymore time with them. I hope all is well with you and that you do not meet these harsh men, Leon. Remember, I care for you very much and I hope that we will see each other again.

                     Sincerely,
                          Niklaus








1 comment:

  1. Comments:

    -Cami T.
    -Mitchell W.
    -Wyatt J.

    ReplyDelete